Re: Water question

Jason wrote:
I'm trying to determine a reasonable monthly stipend to charge the gardeners to offset the water cost which I suspect could end up being substantial.

Heh, heh, heh. We are so fortunately that the Housing Authority picks up our water cost. However, even with "free water," we are finding GREAT benefits to collecting rainwater from the roofs of our two sheds -- the plants really appreciate the "untreated" water and pouring veggie oil in the top is a cheap way of keeping out the flying insects.

Seriously look into any rainwater collecting you can do onsite (write a grant to get the funds if it's beyond your current means) to minimize the use of treated water. Check out the listserve archives for URLs and techniques that other gardens use -- this has been a much-discussed topic in the past.

We are thinking of asking gardeners to buy their own mini drip system to conserve but already some individuals are suggesting this is not affordable and defeats the purpose.

Buy up soaker hoses in September -- last year, I was able to get whole rolls of soaker hoses at Kmart for $5/roll. Sell it for just under regular price in the Spring and you'll have a fund raiser AND a way to get your gardeners to use less water. Or, get Kmart et al to donate the unused soaker hoses to your community garden in September and sell them for $5/roll. Kmart makes out because they get a tax deduction for the regular price, rather than the discount-to-get-it-out-of-here price.

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of

______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org