Sneak Jets Stadium Rally this Sunday March 14th

  • Subject: [cg] Sneak Jets Stadium Rally this Sunday March 14th
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:43:35 EST

I had originally planned to attend the Philadelphia Flower Show this Sunday with friends from Pennsylvania - but the Jets decided to put on a sneak pro Jets/Olympic Westside Stadium this Sunday, May 14th.  Regretfully, I will have to put off  to getting  in touch with my warmer, gentler, flower loving side until the community gardens bloom later in the spring

The Details:
The Jets are planning a family-friendly festival in Chelsea this Sunday in
an attempt to show that West Side residents are excited to have them.  Come
show the Jets and the press that football fans are welcome, but a West Side
stadium is not.

The Jets obtained the permit at the last minute, without the usual
notification of the Community Board.  The Jets web site calls the event
"the first of many involving the team and the West Side community."  Bring
your neighbors and kids, put on a "No Stadium" sticker, and
help show what the community really thinks about a West Side stadium.

Where: Chelsea Park, 10th Ave. between 27th and 28th
Meet at: 27th St. and 10th Ave. (access road between park and Chelsea
Elliott Homes)
When: Sunday, March 14th
10:30 to greet the press
10:30-4:00 stop by and put on a "No Stadium" sticker (we recommend
10:30-1:00 for the greatest impact)

The festival will go all day, but concerned neighborhood residents are
gathering by the official starting time of 11:00 to pass out stickers, sign
up Chelsea residents and explain to the press how we really feel.  Come
join us!

The down and dirty about the Jet's event:

One should expect appearances of  bought-off, campaign contribution hungry minority legislators like Assemblymen Keith Wright, Darryl Towns and City Councilwoman Margarita Lopez at the event talking to the media, along with a few busloads of out-of -neighorhood minority youth's dazzled by the prospect of meeting NFL greats and getting free footballs.

In case you think I'm being harsh about this, a full rear page,  advertisement appeared on the rear of the March 11, 2003 "West Side Spirit" reading - "Minority Legislators Say Yes!  Enorsed Plans for The New York Sports and Convention Center. "  Money loves to play the "Race Card" when it is in their interest...... Talk about pandering!  Sheesh!!!

Alas, none of those legislators live in Chelsea, Clinton or even asked the people of color who live in our communities.  I wonder why?

Alas, the usual men of the cloth, you know, the self appointed "representative of communties" to the far north and from across the East River should be expected to show, en-masse dazzled by the Jet's promises to "give back to the community."

Reality Check:  Now,  a Jets stadium would be a tremendous boon to the Bronx, Queens or even North Manhattan - but the out-of-city, white flight, suburban middle class Jets fans might not want to attend a game in a community of color.
That really is the bottom line to why the Jets want to put their stadium in Manhattan and why their advertisment in the "NY Spirit" was so disgusting.

Imagine all the people of color who might be employed in a Harlem, Bronx or Brooklyn Jets stadium! The Jets would have to hire local if it didn't want picket lines.

Now that wouldn't that  be really giving to the community?  And not "giving back?"

Real jobs for real people - the hand-up of a real job, instead of a handout doled out by the Jets through self-appointed "community leaders."

Expect personal appearances from  "Close the Firehouses" Billionaire Mayor Mike Bloomberg and Hell's Kitchen's darling, Deputy Mayor, "Corporate Sky Boxes for the Olympics" Dan Doctoroff.

Our neighborhood  can also expect a heavy showing from the   construction interests, non-NYC, or certainly not Hell's Kitchen  resident Union workers  with kids in tow, as well as your usual beery tailgate party Jets fans.

Best wishes,
Adam "Next Year for the Philadelphia Flower Show" Honigman