Transplanting Fir Trees

  • Subject: [cg] Transplanting Fir Trees
  • From: Connie Nelson <gardenfoolery@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 22:03:17 -0800 (PST)

Once again I come to the listserv for advice.  I have a small fir tree, approximately 5 feet tall, that beautiful though it is, must be moved.  The tree is located too close to the house and could create problems down the road if left in its present spot.
I don't want to just chop it down, rather move it to a place more suited to its anticipated growth.  Once dug up, it's taking a cross-town trip in the back of a pickup, about a 30 minute drive, to a relative's house for planting.
Would you please give me some advice on how to do it with minimal shock to the tree?
Connie Nelson
Spokane, WA

Do you Yahoo!?