Transplanting Trees - Part 2

  • Subject: [cg] Transplanting Trees - Part 2
  • From: "Jim Call" <jimcall@casagarden.com>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 19:41:26 -0600

Oh yeah.  A few more items to remember when planting a tree. Try to use the existing soil as much as possible.  If its composed of heavy clay, then mix some organic amendments to the existing soil prior to backfilling it.  Replace the soil in layers while pouring water slowly around the rootball.  This procedure will settle the soil better while minimizing air pockets, plus providing better stability.

During its first season, do not rely on your sprinkler system (for those who have yards) to properly provide enough water for the tree. Your irrigation system will not supply enough water for a transplanted tree. During drought periods, water the tree with a short soaker hose (if available) or just irrigate it with a wand attachment for about 5 to 8 minutes (depending on tree size).

Hope this helps.  Now... who wants to plant a garden?

 Jim