Youth Garden at Snipes Elementary School Wilmington NC

  • Subject: [cg] Youth Garden at Snipes Elementary School Wilmington NC
  • From: Celticshea@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 03:37:17 EST

that your office may be available to partner with us in anticipation of our event (psa below!) As this is the first such event that I have planned, any and all available information that is educational at the elementary school level will be greatly appreciated!
your web site may be an answer to a prayer!
In december I volunteered to start an afterschool program at the elementary school where I work as a teaching assistant.  In January, the "best after school program ever" was born!  In february I asked our principal if we could do "a little something" with our campus as it is quite barren - devoid of color, not much in the way of "grass areas" ... essentially dismal!  In march our "earth day celebration" was born (psa / invitation below)  With April fast approaching, we are in desperate need of : gardening expertise, volunteers, and donations of  the essentials for a Youth Garden -- to hopefully include a Butterfly Garden.  If you would be kind enough to spread the word on our behalf, it would be greatly appreciated!  As well, you will be added (if you wish) to our "thank you list (also below), included in future Public Service Announcements, commemorated with a plaque in the aforementioned Youth Garden, and included in the Thank You program in print, to be distributed to all attendees and program supporters!  Thank you in advance for your kind consideration of this request!

Please join us for  the forthcoming Earth Day Celebration to be held at Snipes Elementary School on Thursday, April 22nd from 2:30 until 5p.m. and Saturday the 24th of April from 10a.m. until 2:00p.m.  We hope to enjoy two  exciting, fun filled days complete with hands on activities, demonstrations, and live performances that will provide an environmentally friendly learning experience in a festive environment.   This event will bring together our neighbors and our community with an opportunity to raise awareness of issues that concern our environment and promote positive action that will enhance the quality of life and the beauty of our city, starting in our own respective backyards!

Attention environmentally friendly organizations, artists, and especially all alumni, faculty and staff  and NEIGHBORS (past and present) of Chestnut Street School and Annie H. Snipes elementary:  to participate in the celebration, contact the "Best After School Program Ever" at Snipes Elementary School at 251-6175 on or before April 14, 2004.

Participants in the celebration will have an opportunity to provide information to our community with the added benefit of multimedia exposure for their group/organization or business!   Not to mention doing something positive for the environment!

Highlights of the celebration will include:

- Organic growers
- Cyclists and Recyclists!
- Health and Fitness Professionals
- Sports greats and great sports!
- Cultural Performances by local artists of all  ages
- a variety of local radio and television personalities
- a live petting zoo
- Parade of Pets

Special thanks to the following, Without their support, our celebration would not be possible:

Barnes & Noble Booksellers, Cape Fear Historical Society, Cape Fear River Watch, Cape Fear Teen Health Council, City of Wilmington Police Department, Coca Cola Bottling Company Consolidated, Cumulus Broadcasting, Family Dollar @ 17th and Dawson, Girl Scouts of the Coastal Carolinas, Gold's Gym, Holiday Inn Sunspree Resorts, Hollywood East Cinema Grill, Jelly Beans Skating Center, Margaret Miles and the New Hanover County Public Library, New Hanover County Schools, New Hanover County Sheriff's Department, Michael Rosander and UNCW - No Sleeves Magic Camp, One Tree Hill, Pampered Chef, Peck Landscaping & Design, Physique Designs, Ponderosa Farms, Sierra Club of the Cape Fear region, Tidal Creek Co-Op, UNCW - Wilmington Soccer Club, WECT News Channel 6, WHQR Public Radio, Wilmington Children's Museum, Wilmington Health Access for Teens, Wilmington Parent Magazine, Wilmington Sharks, Wilmington Star-News, Wilmington Symphony Orchestra and Wilmington Youth Orchestra, Wonderland Farm Summer Camp, and Woodmen of the World.

Thank you very much in advance for your kind consideration of  invitation.

Anne Shea,
Best After School Program Ever
Snipes Elementary School
2150 Chestnut Street