RE: planting Fir trees

  • Subject: [cg] RE: planting Fir trees
  • From: "lisa vandyke" <vandykelisa@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:24:16 -0600

For Jim and Connie - another bit about tree planting, or a clarification (I'm sure that you know this Jim). After you have the root ball out, find the root flare of the tree - it is where the roots begin to spread away from the stem. Make sure that this is planted above the natural soil level, never below. Measure from the root flare to the bottom of the ball, and dig the new hole to a bit less than this depth. Do not disturb the soil below this depth in the new hole. It is safer to plant the tre to high than too low. Do loosen the soil out and away from where the root ball will sit, and amend this soil if needed.

Best, Lisa in Mpls.

Jim wrote;

All the action. All the drama. Get NCAA hoops coverage at MSN Sports by ESPN. ______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org To post an e-mail to the list: community_garden@mallorn.com To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden