Re: Transplanting Trees - Part 2

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Transplanting Trees - Part 2
  • From: "Deborah Mills" <deborah@greencure.org>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:10:33 -0800

Title: Re: [cg] Transplanting Trees - Part 2
I must have missed the Part I of this but I agree with Lekoma's statement.

I apologize if this was already said, but in case it was not, the first thing I do is a perk test. I too live in a land where clay is in abundance. By doing a perk test you shall always know if drainage of the site was an issue or not if the tree fails.

What a perk test is simply, is seeing how quickly the water drains. I take a stake that has been marked at one inch segments and pound it into the bottom of the hole and then I fill it with water. The bare minimum should be one inch per hour (I know many publications refer to that it should be drained over night but when you are working on a landscape, you don't have time to wait that long). Anything quicker than that is a good thing anything and anything over that you have to address the issue at hand.

You will be amazed that even in clay soils I have had the water drain as quickly as 2 inches per 15 minutes.

Hope this helps,
Deborah