  • Subject: [cg] RE. SITE SURVEYS
  • From: Commgarden@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 01:03:04 EST

 Speaking from our experience at the LAS FLORES COMMUNITY GARDEN in Thousand
Oaks, California,
when we were getting started in 1999 on land owned by our local park district
the district hired a landscape architect to do the layout and surveying.   If
your group is not in that kind of situation
may I offer the following suggestions:
1. Incorporate as a tax exempt, non-profit corporation the the office of the
California Secretary of State.   This will allow you to offer a licensed
surveyor a donation letter with which she/he can get a tax write off.
2.Contact the Master Gardener Program to see if they have a qualified member
who would be willing to do the survey at no or little charge in order to
fulfill Master Gardener certificate requirements.
3. Contact the civil engineering departments of East Los Angeles College,Cal
Poly Pomona, or UCLA
for possible donation of services.

Best of luck,

Don Jacobs
Founding President of the Las Flores Community Garden