Re: culture of food research

  • Subject: Re: [cg] culture of food research
  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:55:29 -0800

Basically, we will be surveying community gardeners and non-gardeners and want
to ask questions that will reveal linkages between food growing habits
(community gardening) and healthy eating habits (or not) at home and in the
rest of their lives. Any questions that will help us make connections (or not)
between community gardening and healthy eating/culture of food and eating will
be great.
This sounds like a fascinating project.

The first thing I thought of was the edible schoolyard project in Berkeley, Calif.

Also, it may be helpful to look at the history of community gardening: Laura Lawson, The City Bountiful, U Calif. Press, 2005. I wonder if anyone has followed the proliferation of victory gardens in WWI and WWII with studies of whether children raised with an abundance of fresh produce developed healthier eating habits (or if they saw those few years as a time of deprivation and, as so many did, rejected beans and rice as "peasant food" for the rest of their lives).

I grew up in the Garden State eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, but without a garden, and as an adult developed even healthier eating habits (vegan). In college I shopped at natural foods stores and discovered many grains and beans I'd never heard of; when I told my parents (who grew up during the Depression) about foods such as millet and garbanzo beans, they said, oh yeah, we ate those all the time as kids. As I've tended more toward organically grown produce, I finally got a community garden space not only to play with plants, but to be able to grow my own vegetables organically.