Re: Local Event: Lubbock, TX El Jardin Revitalization, 3/23/6

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Local Event: Lubbock, TX El Jardin Revitalization, 3/23/6
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:32:05 EST

Dear Phillip,
I had the good luck of attending the American Community Gardening
Association's "Growing Commnities," training earlier this year, created by the  ACGA's
"From the Roots Up" program. Key to the two day session was a textbook  that
includes, in addition to tons of great ideas, step-by-step workshops in
Community Organizing, Asset-Based Community Development ( which I'll talk to you
later about in this e-mail) and how to Create and Strengthen a Community Garden
The text: "Growing Communities Curriculum: Community Building and
Organizational Development through Community Gardening" By Jeannette Abi-Nader,  Kendall
Dunnigan and Kristen Markley ( Edited by Jeanette Abi-Nader & David  Buckley)
is only one of the ACGA's great publications, and can be purchased  through
the group's website: _http://www.communitygarden.org_
(http://www.communitygarden.org)  .  The website, which is free has so much good information, advice,
and links to  local groups listed by state,that it really would make an awful
lot of sense to  get a ream of paper and print out alot of it over the course
of a weekend.
And it would probably make great sense, for you to join the ACGA, if only
for the discounts to local community garden seminars and trainings in you
region, and a discount to the upcoming Los Angeles Community American Community
Community Gardening Association  this coming September, I believe.
My two cents worth: That said, you should look at what your assets are, and
the needs of your community and how you can create a win-win situation for
your  community.
Most community gardens are organizations of people who like to garden  and....
And what?  Well some community garden like to raise food for the  hungry in
their communities, making contributions to food pantries, senior  citizen's
homes, schools or teaching kids how food grows, as opposed  to gets bought in
supermarkets and Mc Donalds.
For other groups it's folks who like to garden and.... create a  safe public
space for people to meet and talk that isn't a mall,or a dangerous,
underfunded and policed park.  Or some folks like to garden  and...create native plant
habitats, small community botanic-type gardens and  nature habitats.
Some folks like to garden and...create a space where performing  arts events,
music, and sculpture takes place. Other folks like to garden...and  create a
safe haven for seniors and children, using the place for physical
rehabilitation for limited movement seniors or as a place to teach and nuture  kids about
nature and how to eat right.
You have to look around and decide, after taking a good walk around your
neighborhood, what your community garden needs to do and....that will bring
people in your community garden and make it flourish .
Lubbock, TX, like most places in America has hungry people, so I'd  suggest a
good starting place might be setting aside a good number of  those plots to
grow food for your local food pantry and advertise your garden as  a "resource
in the fight against hunger in our community." Then I'd  put some little
pieces in your local newspapers that your garden, being  started up again, under
the aegis of your not-for-profit, needs the  donation of tools that might be
lying around in people's garages and attics and  that your not-for profit would
be happy to give them a receipt  for tax purposes.
I'd also write up some letters to the local Home Depot, plant center,etc
about your project, and have someone start a blog or small website ( hosted on
the server of your local not-for-profit) which whould have pictures  of folks
donating tools, the good work that you're doing and the gardeners  happy faces
as they're doing good.
You see there are lot of folks who like to garden, but if they can  donate
their skills to grow flowers for a hospital, senior center or church (  altar
flowers), food to feed hungry folks, or teach skills to young folks, it  becomes
an organization of folks who like to garden, and....
Good luck in your challenge - Get other's to share in it and to start to
take responsibility - this wasn't, as I gathered, about you, but started up
again out of your willingness to do work.  Your job, to  quote "Mission
Impossible," is to get people enthused enought that they are  going to be willing to
take responsibility and leadership so you can  concentratate on "gardening
Good luck,
Adam Honigman
A gardener from Hell's Kitchen, NYC
. Your 15 year old garden, as you said, is organized under the aegis of a
pre-existing not-for-profit and has lost the energy of the original organizers.
And you said you have no garden tools.
What I'd do is I'd create a letter, printed on the  stationery of your
sponsoring not-for-profit saying that the