From: Deborah Steelman <dasteelman@erols.com>
To: community_garden@mallorn.com <community_garden@mallorn.com>
Date: Friday, May 05, 2000 9:08 AM
Subject: [cg] ground prep for raised beds

We are preparing to install pressure treated lumber for raised bed planting beds on a lot which has some weeds, hard dirt, even the remnants of a macadam drive way still intact. A house was torn down years ago.
    the plans were drawn up by our county agricultural architect, gratis. The local high school shop class is building them and with the help of the HS horticultural club is providing installation.
    We are going to fill the beds with topsoil for planting. What is the best  and most economical way to prepare the ground to prevent weeds from coming up. Chemical weedkillers have been suggested and I'm really reluctant to use them.
    This community garden is a first for our small urban like community of 6,000. We have formed a collaborative committee with 2 churches, the Supt. of our schools, and the chamber of commerce. We received training and an initial grant through the United Methodist Church Shalom Zone progam for community renewal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Rev. Deborah Steelman, Paulsboro Shalom Community Garden (NJ)