FW: Toxic Wood in the garden & other things to avoid

-----Original Message-----
From: John Verin [mailto:jverin@pennhort.org]
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2000 12:18 PM
To: Tetrad
Subject: RE: [cg] Toxic Wood in the garden & other things to avoid

> >How about fertilizers?  Organic only?  Or anything that's not actively
> >toxic like sewer sludge laced with heavy metals?
>
> If you compost, you really shouldn't need fertilizers beyond some bonemeal
> or a foliar spray (I like the kelp sprays myself, but the fish emulsion is
> good, too).  We only allow organic fertizilers, but it's really more

Please keep in mind that "fertilizers" cannot substitute for key nutrients
in the soil. If you are lacking in a nutrient it needs to be added. I.e.,
compost won't always make up for deficiencies, so get your soil tested. It's
like getting a map before a long journey. Timberleaf Soil Testing, tho more
expensive, will give you a FULL soil analysis, AND recommendations on
how/how much to amend your soil organically. Most other soil testing groups
won't give you the recommendations.
909-677-7510   bvrusso@murrieta.net

> can't speak for kudzu as it doesn't seem to grow this far North,

I've heard that it's in Fairmount Park now. That combined with the fact that
summer now starts on May 1... get ready for a new ride!