RE: How many CG in U.S.?

This is the big question.  ACGA folks have consumed a lot of adult beverages and long distance phone time trying to figure it out. Nobody is really in a position to keep track.  One way is to take a known area, like my city of Hartford, CT, which has 20 gardens and a population of about 120,000, or one garden for every 6,000 people.  Apply that ratio to the U.S. population and you get about 25,000 gardens.  There are numbers available for various cities, so you could get a bit more creative in arriving at the best general ratio.  Then, of course you need to account for differences between urban and rural areas, and differences among regions.  More interesting might be how many people use community gardens, since the gardens themselves vary so much in size and purpose.  I think National Gardening Association (NGA) may have worked on developing an estimate in their last poll - worth asking them.  Good luck.
Jack Hale
-----Original Message-----
From: community_garden-admin@mallorn.com [mailto:community_garden-admin@mallorn.com]On Behalf Of John & Keisha
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2000 1:21 PM
To: community_garden@mallorn.com
Subject: [cg] How many CG in U.S.?

Hello Community Gardeners,
I asked a question about the community building aspect of community gardens last month and folks were very helpful with replies.  I now have another question - does anyone know how many community gardens (roughly) exist in the U.S. now days?
I want to say that I read somewhere a figure of about 10,000 - but I can't remember where I saw it.  I was trying to use this figure to make the point of the popularity of CG for a paper I am working on and would love a source to quote from.
Thanks in advance if anyone has ideas on this.
Keisha Payson