From: Jack N. Hale [mailto:jackh@knoxparks.org]
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2000 2:54 PM
To: John & Keisha; community_garden@mallorn.com
Subject: RE: [cg] How many CG in U.S.?

This is the big question.  ACGA folks have consumed a lot of adult beverages
and long distance phone time trying to figure it out. Nobody is really in a
position to keep track.  One way is to take a known area, like my city of
Hartford, CT, which has 20 gardens and a population of about 120,000, or one
garden for every 6,000 people.  Apply that ratio to the U.S. population and
you get about 25,000 gardens.  There are numbers available for various
cities, so you could get a bit more creative in arriving at the best general
ratio.  Then, of course you need to account for differences between urban
and rural areas, and differences among regions.  More interesting might be
how many people use community gardens, since the gardens themselves vary so
much in size and purpose.  I think National Gardening Association (NGA) may
have worked on developing an estimate in their last poll - worth asking
them.  Good luck.
Jack Hale