Re: Pathways

Our city provides chippings from the trees they prune - also, sometimes private
tree pruning services will dump their chippings as well.   After Christmas, we
often are inundated with chipped Christmas trees which make a marvelous mulch.
These mulches are used for pathways (each member must maintain the adjacent paths
to their plots) and the excess is available free for individual gardens.

The most diligent pathway mulchers will spread sheets of newspaper on their paths
(5 or 6 deep) and cover with the chippings.  This presents a long term problem for
weeds and is a wonderful recycle use for the newprint as well.

I hope your paths are plenty wide enough!  So important.

David King
Consulting Horticulturist