Re: Pathways

     There are a number of options.  I prefer putting down a barrier of
overlapped newspaper (about four layers) and mulching with up to four
inches of bark mulch.  You can sometimes get woodchips for free from tree
crews clearing power lines.  Local garden supply stores may also donate
broken bags of mulch.  Straw over newspaper will also work, but it tends
to blow into plots and to be harder to walk on when applied as thickly as
necessary.  Planting the pathways with white clover and keeping them mowed
will also work, but clover can be hard to establish when the paths are
heavily used.  Avoid hay which will increase weed problems.

Good luck,

H. Michael Simmons, Ph.D.
Community Garden Project
Bloomington Parks and Recreation