RE: Pathways I have known and loved

As far as I can tell, the pathways will grow weeds just as well if you do
something as if you don't.  If you're lucky they will be edible weeds, or
something that makes good compost.

You have so many options to consider!  Mulch seems to grow weeds the best
and pulling them out of it brings fresh soil to the surface which quickly
multiplies the weed bio-mass and creates a lovely habitat for native
wildlife species.  Also, as the mulch and newspaper decomposes it creates an
exceptionally fertile mix, resulting in weeds that are both vigorous and

Edging is useful to train the weeds to crawl through, over and under
obstacles, so by the time they reach your beds they are stronger and more
agile than you are.  Layers of damp newspaper is a refreshing snack for most
weed root systems, shielding them from unpleasant environmental extremes.

Stones are good, allowing air and water to reach the weeds while protecting
them from being crushed by your feet while you walk around looking for your
hoe.  Also, when you trip on the stones your face ends up really close to
the weeds... creating opportunities for more accurate identification.

Cement walkways are very attractive and mostly you just have weeds growing
over them, not through them.  The cement truck will probably damage your
fence and run over some beds, and concrete is non-porous but it lasts a
really long time.  If you possess chalk you will find that concrete walks
make a lovely message board in dry weather.

Grass is good also, and when mowed properly looks really smart.  The
downside is that grass has this habit of not growing where you want it to
and growing really well where you'd rather not have it.  Also, mowing it is
out when someone borrows your mower for indefinite periods of time.  Grass
roots are perfect for pulling up your vegetables during weeding - they pop
right out together.

At the Boulevard Community Garden we have two paths that get serious foot
traffic and that keeps the weeds down really well.  They can't survive being
trampled every night and buried under bottles, cans, needles and condoms.
This is the most effective method I've seen so far, and requires the least
effort by the gardeners.

Brick is swell, too, and will provide you with hours of entertainment
relaying it after the ground heaves each winter and from over watering.  You
just lift sixty or seventy of them up and smooth out the sand and put them
back.  That also gives you the option of changing from "basket weave" to
"herring bone" pattern from time to time, creating a more dynamic gardening
environment.  This is also a good discovery process because you will learn
which weeds grow better through the small gaps between bricks and be amazed
at how tall they can get withstanding such limitations.

Community Garden Coordinator
Atlanta Community Food Bank
970 Jefferson Street, NW
Atlanta, GA  30318