Re: Pathways

Hi, Kate!

Fred was a whole lot more entertaining, but here in SE PA, we do pretty much
like David King's community garden. . .

>Our city provides chippings from the trees they prune - also, sometimes private
>tree pruning services will dump their chippings as well.

Currently we have a landscaper who specializes in pruning/removing
"difficult" trees that is using our garden site to dump all his fresh wood

>These mulches are used for pathways (each member must maintain the adjacent
>to their plots) and the excess is available free for individual gardens.

This is exactly what we require.

>The most diligent pathway mulchers will spread sheets of newspaper on their
>(5 or 6 deep) and cover with the chippings.  This presents a long term
problem for
>weeds and is a wonderful recycle use for the newprint as well.

We use plain cardboard instead of newspaper for the paths and then dump
woodchips over the cardboard.  Check your local library -- they probably get
TONS of plain brown cardboard boxes that they would really like to get rid
of (all those books have to come in something! ;-)).

I wouldn't recommend allowing folks to use plastic sheeting for the paths --
the cardboard will keep the weeds out just fine and decompose over the
winter, adding much needed organic matter to your soil.  Folks tend to
either forget where they laid the plastic or abandon their plot and then
someone else has to fish it out.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of