cheap wheelbarrows

After <gasp> 25 years of hauling stuff into, out of and through community
gardens, I've learned that nothing beats two 5-gallon buckets. It has to be
two, for balance. And then there's this new contraption called a yoke, that
goes over your shoulders...

In truth, a normal wheelbarrow holds the equivalent of 4 buckets, is
usually unwieldy, tips over, costs at least $30 new, takes up a lot of
space in storage, and usually ends up being stolen or borrowed and not
returned. Buckets, on the other hand, are dirt cheap (often free), easy to
replace, can go anywhere that feet can go, are much easier for kids to use,
and stack neatly in storage. They also double as seating when needed. In
fact, when we go out on plantings or workdays we always take at least six
buckets, but leave the wheelbarrow home because the wheel has gone flat.
Never had that problem with a bucket.

My personal favorite brand comes from the local deli, smells of pickles,
and sports the slogan "We answer to a Higher Authority." A hit with most
every gardening audience!