RE: Adam's wishlist

  • Subject: [cg] RE: Adam's wishlist
  • From: "lisa vandyke" <vandykelisa@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 19:44:04 -0500

I had to chuckle a bit at Adam's wishlist. Then I had to give pause...
The garden I manage sits on restaurant property, owned by a collective of
good souls. We have only eight 100 square foot beds, but the rest of the
gardens are landscaped with fruit trees, perennials, herbs, medicinals,
prairie plants, vines, roses, brick and granite paved walk ways, fencing
with gates, lighting at night (if I grab a ladder, the lamp sockets are a
source of electricity with a simple adapter),basic tools are shared and
never seem to go far, I put in an underground water system with 6 spigots a
few years back, the compost works pretty good, and I'm going back to get a
degree in Hort.
We got no toilet or shower, but if the restaurant is open, its there to use.
Yet, after furnishing my wish list to the garden, I've found that folks are
complacent, less involved, more whiny and certainly unappreciative. I've
made it so easy, folks forget there isn't a maid.  So, perhaps having
everything isn't as important as having community.
Kyle at Hare's Breath, Mpls,MN