Re: phytoremediation in CG?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] phytoremediation in CG?
  • From: Betsy Johnson <betsy@bostonnatural.org>
  • Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 08:17:54 -0400

About 5 years ago, we did a pilot phytoremediation project in Boston.  In one sense the pilot was very successful.  Lead levels were reduced 50% in one growing season and then 50% again the next.  However, when we costed out the effort, straight soil removal would have been much more costly and definitely take a lot less time.  This is because there is a cost associated with raising the mustard and then with disposal of the lead-laden plant material.  We have had much better results with designing the garden/park as a remediation strategy because generally the higher lead levels are not uniform on the site.
Betsy Johnson, Boston Natural Areas Network, Boston