ACGA 2002 National Conference in NYC, July 25-28, Registration Alert

  • Subject: [cg] ACGA 2002 National Conference in NYC, July 25-28, Registration Alert
  • From: "Kirby, Ellen" <ellenkirby@bbg.org>
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 16:06:18 -0400

Hello everyone,

In case you missed my previous note, I'm reminding you that TODAY is the
deadline to take advantage of the Early Bird registration DISCOUNT for our
upcoming conference in NY (July 25-28).  You can download the form on our
website and rush it to the post office for a May 1 postmark.  You west coast
people are fortunate to get this reminder early afternoon.

Whenever/wherever/however you register, we do hope to see you in NY so
PLEASE, register and let us know you are coming to see us as soon as
possible.  The plans are shaping up for an exciting conference,
featuring....

-Tours of great community gardens in all five boroughs of NYC: bikes,
walking, bus, etc.
-Opportunity for workshops with enthusiastic, well informed, creative
community gardeners from at least two continents (maybe more)!
-Chance to go out on the town including a visit to the Clinton Community
Garden for a dance performance and lots of NY hospitality
-Keynotes by Dr. Howard Yana-Shapiro(from New Mexico), founder of  Seeds of
Change and author, GARDENING FOR THE FUTURE OF THE EARTH and Karen Hobbs
(from Chicago), grassroots and national community garden leader, former ACGA
board member

I think you will also enjoy the venue of the conference at Columbia
University in the Morningsite Heights neighborhood of Manhattan.  The campus
is beautiful and historic. There are several community gardens in the nearby
neighborhoods within walking distance. With our great subway system (only
$1.50 and you can ride anywhere almost any time), you are only a short
distance from any one of our nearly 700 community gardens.

If anyone needs extra copies of the program brochure, just let Gerard
Lordahl know.  Gerard can be reached at gldesigns25@hotmail.com. Gerard is
the ACGA board member liaison to the conference planning committee, which is
co-chaired by Edie Stone, Director of GreenThumb (the city agency that
administers all community gardens) and Brian Sahd, from New York Restoration
Project (Bette Middler's group).

Hope this message finds everyone having a great spring and not so busy you
can't enjoy the beauty of the fresh green that may be all around you. Our
bluebell woods here at Brooklyn Botanic Garden are giving us all a thrill so
come on out/over/up if you can.

Take care,

Ellen Kirby, President, ACGA

Ellen Kirby, Director