ACGA Founders, etc.

  • Subject: [cg] ACGA Founders, etc.
  • From: Kirbyplant@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 22:39:02 EDT

Thanks to James Foshee for telling us about Ian Robertson and his role in starting ACGA and community gardens in Savannah.  It would be great to have stories of ACGA in its beginnings for our newsletter, etc.

If anyone else knows the whereabouts of leaders from the "early" days of ACGA, can you send them to us?  Thanks. And James, can you let me know how to get in touch with Ian Robertson, please.

Thanks. It's inspiring to know how our "modern" community gardening movement began.  I was inspired to read in an old ACGA greening review that one of the first community gardens recorded in the US was at Bethabara among the Moravians in Winston-Salem, NC.  Since this was my hometown and I had been by the site millions of times as a child, I was so surprised to read in ACGA that some historians say this site was the first community garden (among the settler Europeans) when the Moravians came from Pennsylvania to settle in the South in the mid 18th century.  I believe it is now operating again as a community garden.  Does anyone know? Anyway, for all you history buffs out there, this may be of interest.

Perhaps in the upcoming Greening Review we can have an article about the early ACGA history from twenty years ago.  Can we hear more from some of you who know the stories from both US and Canadian counterparts.

Ellen Kirby, President ACGA

Ellen

Happy spring 2002!

Check out the web sites for The American Community Gardening Association and Brooklyn Botanic Garden:

www.communitygarden.org and www.bbg.org