Re: Property taxes question

Jill wrote:

 do any of your organizations- Non-profit- neighborhood associations, greening organizations- who own your own land and gardens- have to pay property taxes?

The reason why the church doesn't own the land for the community garden is that we would have to pay ALL property taxes at the residential rate.  The school taxes alone would kill us and as Phoenixville lost its tax base when the steel plant closed, no one is in any mood to give us a "break."

Right now in PA (and in many other areas), municipalities are going after non-profits, including charitable organizations such as churches to get tax revenue out of them  -- including taxes that they have traditionally been exempt from.  I would get myself a *very* good lawyer as the current wave is to mine non-profits for as much revenue as a municipality or a school can get away with! :-(

BTW, saw "Stone Reader" this weekend about Cedar Rapids "now-famous" author.   My brother, however, says the road system in Cedar Rapids is the worst of any town he's traveled in -- too many streets with the same name that don't run into each other!

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of
St. John's United Church of Christ, 315 Gay Street, Phoenixville, PA  19460