Property taxes question

  • Subject: [cg] Property taxes question
  • From: JillWUGS@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 21:11:10 EDT

Question for Community Gardeners- do any of your organizations- Non-profit- neighborhood associations, greening organizations- who own your own land and gardens- have to pay property taxes? Just wondering- we do in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. We are a 501(c)3. Our taxes aren't expensive. I think we are the only ones who pay property taxes in the country- but are there other groups? If you do pay property taxes and are in an urban area- do you pay residential rates or Ag. rates? Can you let me know. We challenged our taxes once and the assessor made the decision and turned us down. (This is the same assessor who wants to tax at higher rate  for lower cost/ income homes, those under $150,000 than the upper crust ones $300,000-$500,000- $1M.) We just need a little more information of what is going on around the country. Thank you all----jill jones, Wellington Heights Neighborhood Association, Cedar Rapids, Iowa