Starbucks "Activists

  • Subject: [cg] Starbucks "Activists
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 11:27:30 EDT

Is that OCA or ORCA? ;)

Lookit, the day I see you nice young people with clipboards and signs actually do something useful, like voter registration, start and maintain a community garden that feeds people, get people jobs, do some tutoring, visit sick and indigent people in the hospital, or do something real, like getting involved in the political elective process instead of loitering in front of coffee shops being snarky,  I will do more than say, "no thank you," as I pass you by to get my tall, black, eyeopener enroute one or another jobs.

A Marxist Class Analysis:  In NYC the employees at the Starbucks are primarily working-class African American and Latino young people, who are happy to have the jobs ( though many work two) while they are going to school, and are enjoying some kind of medical and dental benefits, and a free weekly pound of coffee from the company,  while  the protesters are primarily snarky looking white and asian undergraduates of the the kind that do not have to work a job to support themselves in college because either Mom or Dad are paying full freight or co-signed their loans at NYU or Columbia.

Perhaps it's different outside of the island of Manhattan but coffeeshop protesters are going after low hanging fruit.  Now if the NYU kids showed up in front of the nearby Chinatown garment sweatshops, they might actually do some good - though in some instances they might catch a beating.

Everbest,
Adam Honigman

Subj: [cg] Starbucks