Growing corn

  • Subject: [cg] Growing corn
  • From: "James Bourne" <JBourne@sarahlawrence.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 09:32:51 -0400

Can anyone share some words of wisdom about growing corn in southern New York state? I've already tried, once each here and in southern California, and both times the plants were beset by aphids. I've also been warned that squirrels find the young shoots and/or seeds a tasty treat. I've come across some interesting heirloom varieties that I'd love to try, but I'd hate to just end up feeding four- and six-legged critters.

Bronx, NY