Re: Trying any new varieties this year?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Trying any new varieties this year?
  • From: "Libby J. Goldstein" <libby@igc.org>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 20:33:02 -0400

Despite the popularity of baby spinach in the market, I've really loved my fall-planted 'Whale' spinach. The leaves are huge and tender.

I've started some new-to-me tomato varieties, but obviously can't rate them yet: 'Giant Belgium', 'Watermelon Beefsteak' and 'Black Cherry'. I do so love 'Black Prince' that I just couldn't resist trying 'Black Cherry'. Last year's favorite tomato variety was 'Green Zebra' which I guess everyone else in life had already grown.

I'm also growing Hibiscus sabdariffa aka Roselle for tea and such and garden huckleberries this season.

I've been eating 'German Wine' rhubarb (and giving tons of it away) for several weeks as well as some 3d year purple asparagus and sorrel 'Profusion' from Richters that never goes to seed but spreads anyway. Gave away several clumps last spring and the plants were profuse again in weeks.

Libby

______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org