Re: Getting rid of a dandelion lawn

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Getting rid of a dandelion lawn
  • From: <scolli@columbus.rr.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 19:17:02 -0400

Hi!
What you are thinking of, using plastic is called soil solarization.  It is simply covering moist ground with a layer or two of 3-6 mm plastic, weighting it down, and leaving it like that for the summer or most of the summer.  Plants, "weed" seeds, and insects and pathogens are killed through the process of heating the soil.  Go to a search engine and type in "soil solarization" and there are hundreds of articles on it from garden magazines to Extension fact sheets.  Never tried it, but I've heard lots of good things about it.

Shelly

We are stardust *million year old carbon* we are golden *caught in the devil's bargain* and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden .  .  .