Re: [cg] nutrient comparisons between home grown vs. store bought vegetables

Dear Friends,

This message is about Bill's on: may the same vegetables (carrots, for example) become different from each other according the way they are produced (or they are grown, or they are fed...).

First: are you, Bill, comparing home-grown or community grown vegetables to WHAT KIND of vegetables bought in the supermarkets? I mean: are they organically grown vegetables or chemically grown? Or are they transgenic vegetables? Were they irradiated? Were they canned? Frozen? All these processes alter the conditions of these vegetables and of their consumers. Does it make sense to you and to the fellows you need to awaken?
More: should I suppose that when you say "home-grown or community grown vegetables" are you meaning "organically grown vegetables"?

Now, in Brazil, we have scientists hired by the agribusiness industry telling us that the corn and soy transgenic plants they are introducing are healthier than the natural ones. What do you think. Would you believe in scientific evidence that tell you that transgenics are better than nature?

I remember that 30 years ago, when Macrobiotics arrived to the Occident (in the US, introduced mainly by Mishio Kushi), I learned that we should not eat any product coming from more than 50 miles around. They said that if you live in a tropical country, you should eat the food that grows in this same conditions. Or if you live in a cold country, you should not eat food coming from the tropics. Of course they were not talking about small amounts of imported or exotic foods (even from the other side of the world) that you may eat now and then, but about diets where imported food makes an important portion of a person's nutrition. Does it make sense to you? To me, it did, and I am thankful to it.

Another interesting point of view, also regarding organically local produced vegetables compared to chemically produced vegetables is demonstrated by the Biodynamic Agriculture. After Rudolf Steiner (in German Austria, in the beginning of this century)  had suggested a series of procedures to develop an agriculture really able to heal the soil and then the people and the societies, many of his fellows from the Anthroposophic Society started experimenting these procedures. Some agronomists from the same Society, noted Dr. E. Pfeiffer, developed a set of tests to demonstrate the superior quality of food produced by the Biodynamic Agriculture compared to chemical food. You may find, in the US, much more information on this than me, in Brazil. Dr. Pfeiffer has even worked for many years in the US, where there are many farms and associations of Biodynamic Agriculture. In Brazil we have a strong group in Sao Paulo, but just this one, and Pfeiffer never lived or visited Brazil...

Also: I remember a book called La Agriculture Biologique (by Claude Aubert) with a whole chapter just to show the differences in mineral contents very noticeable when comparing organically grown to chemically grown plants. Things like: the plant fed by chemical NPK from the industry has different amounts and proportions of iron, magnesia and other important elements when compared to natural plants of the same kind. Does it make sense? I think it does...   (I still have this book. I can take it in few days - in another house, and copy you the pages. These are scientific data, from chemical analyzes.)

Some URL on these issues:

(Natural Foods & Macrobiotics): ZEN MACROBIOTICS (the art of rejuvenation and longevity) GEORGES OHSAWA. revised, edited and annotated by Lou Oles and Shayne Oles Suehle.
(this book - I suppose - was first published in the fifties. In the sixties it was already published in Brazil. Please read its Contents to perceive how wise was master Ohsawa about what we are living today...

From this web page, I took the small text below and the following basic macrobiotic recomendations (Joaquim)

According to Christine Pirello, in her new cookbook, Cooking the Whole Foods Way,
"Macrobiotics is simply about living naturally in harmony with everything around us, about realizing that we are part of everything around us. Macrobiotics is an understanding of food as energy, that everything we eat becomes a part of us and helps create who we become."

Whole Foods:
This includes whole grains, beans, vegies, fruits, nuts, seeds, and small amount of animal food as needed. Emphasize simple, fresh foods and avoid processed foods.
Choose organic foods that are not irradiated or genetically engineered. Organic foods taste better because they contain more nutrients.
Fresh foods:
Choose fresh foods over frozen or canned. Fresh foods taste better because they have more energy.
Seasonal foods:
Choose foods that are in season and locally grown. These foods help you adjust to your climate and the season.
Energetically Balanced:
Choose meals that have a balance of expansive and contractive energies.(more on this in future columns)
Five Flavors:
Include the 5 flavors in your meals: salty, sweet, sour, pungent and bitter. This will make whole foods meals satisfying and reduce cravings.
Through eating whole foods, you develop your body wisdom and learn to listen to your own guidance.
"Food is Essential but not Sufficient":
This is a quote used by macrobiotic counselors to stress that diet is only a part of healing. Emotional work is necessary, because when we clean up our diets, old emotions are released for transmutation.
macrobiotic books
This site supports the practice of macrobiotics with philosophy, recipes, menu models, book lists,
resources and links to other...

On Biodynamic Agriculture, I got this page from Altavista: Please notice that line #8 takes you to the Pfeiffer Center, where surely they will have the records of his scientific analyzes of vegetables and even newer experiments and data, always to show how the same phenomenon; vegetables may become very different according the way they are produced.

1. Biodynamic Agriculture
Biodynamic agriculture works! It was spawned by the late anthroposophist, Rudolf Steiner father of biodynamics, and has grown and developed in...
2. Biodynamic Agriculture
3. BD NOW! The International Biodynamic Agriculture Forum
BD Now! Main Menu || This The Organic Web Ring site owned by Allan Balliett. [ Previous 5
Sites | Previous | Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List...
4. TARUNA COLLEGE - Steiner Waldorf Teacher Training, Biodynamic Agriculture meth
Train in New Zealand to teach in a Rudolf Steiner or Waldorf School or Kindergarten, produce Biodynamically healthy food or heal gently with...http://www.taruna.gen.nz/index.html
6. Demeter - What is Biodynamic Agriculture?
What is Biodynamic Agriculture? Brief Overview: The Biodynamic movement originated in 1924 in a series of lectures by the Austrian scientist and...
7. Biodynamic Agriculture: Working biodynamic agriculture!
Biodynamic Agriculture Works! It was spawned by the late anthroposophist, Rudolf Steiner father of biodynamics, and has grown and developed in...
8. Pfeiffer Center
The Pfeiffer Center offers a part time training in biodynamic agriculture; workshops and seminars in biodynamics, gardening, beekeeeping and...
9. Glossary of Terms
Glossary of Terms. Certified Organic: The use of this term signifies that the grower has produced his/her crop using techniques in compliance with a set...

 I am wondering if anyone out there can point me in the right direction for finding out whether there is any scientific data quantifying the nutrient quality of home-grown or community grown vegetables compared to those bought in the supermarkets.I know that veggies grown and consumed fresh do have a higher nutrient content than veggies trucked in from out of state but I need some scientific references to use for some research that I am doing.  I am doing this so that I can bolster my argument in favor of community supported gardening and agriculture.If anyone has any information pointing me in the right direction, please email me. Thank you for your help.Bill Longwjlongjr.@prodigy.net