Re: [cg] nutrient comparisons between home grown vs. store bought vegetables

On 05/14/99 20:07:40 you wrote:
>I am wondering if anyone out there can point me in the right direction
>for finding out whether there is any scientific data quantifying the
>nutrient quality of home-grown or community grown vegetables compared to
>those bought in the supermarkets.

Someone at Rutgers University recently released hard data proving that
organically grown veggies have higher mineral content than "conventionally"
(dit: chemically) grown veggies. I've seen it, and in some cases the
difference in the figures in astounding. Roughly and organically grown
tomato had 1800 ppm calcium, whereas the chemically grown tomato had 60.

My great grandmother would say, "Don't skimp on your grocery bill. What you
'save' from buying cheap food you will spend 10-fold at the doctor's

Happy Gardening!

John Edward Verin
Senior Apprentice
Ecosystem Farm
Accokeek, MD

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint.
When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist."
- Dom Helder Camara

Food is power... are you in control of yours?