From: "Ariel Spaeth" <arielspaeth@uswest.net>
To: <community_garden@mallorn.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2000 9:14 PM
Subject: [cg] The Best of Both Worlds?

> If you are considering voting for Nader but are worried that
your vote could
> take votes away from Gore,
>
> OR
>
> If you are voting for Gore but would like to help build a
strong Green Party
> (with matching federal funds),
>
> Please read the following. If you are not comfortable
"trading your vote"
> via the internet, please discuss trading votes with family
and friends who
> live in states where Bush (or Gore) is overwhelmingly
favored.

> NADER AND GORE SUPPORTERS: VOTE YOUR CONSCIENCES AND SUPPORT
YOUR
> CANDIDATES -  TRADE YOUR VOTES IN KEY STATES!
>
> If you don't want to read this entire email, go straight to
> http://www.voteswap2000.com.
>
> In these final days before the election, many progressives
are wrestling
> with a difficult choice between Ralph Nader and Al Gore.
Much has been made
> of the similarities between Gore and George W. Bush on
several issues, but,
> realistically, most progressives realize that Gore is an
> overwhelmingly preferable candidate to Bush-particularly for
a presidential
> term that will likely include the lifetime appointments of
> two or three Supreme Court Justices.
>
> As close as Gore and Bush are on some issues, their
differences are a BIG
> deal. Because the progressive community is divided, there is
a very real
> danger that Nader votes in key swing states could give this
election to
> Bush. Conservatives know this, and on Monday, October 30th,
Bush supporters
> will start running pro-Nader ads in an attempt to siphon more
votes away
> from Gore. [Is this verified, or just an email scare
tactic? -LK]

> Al Gore, though NOT progressive on a range of important
issues, is: strongly
> pro-choice; committed in practice to strong domestic
environmental policy;
> committed in theory to strong environmental policy
> on critical international environmental issues such as global
warming;
> pro-gun control; and far more likely to appoint Supreme Court
Justices and
> federal judges who will support civil rights, women's
reproductive
> freedom, affirmative action, and corporate liability.
>
> Bush, on the other hand, has a terrible environmental and
social record in
> Texas, and has reaffirmed his connections with big oil by
choosing Dick
> Cheney as his running mate.  His Supreme Court appointments
could
> conceivably overturn Roe vs. Wade, and his ability to
represent the U.S.
> internationally is extremely questionable.
>
> Many progressive voters in these swing states would like to
vote for Ralph
> Nader, but are afraid that if they do, Bush may outpoll Gore
and take all
> the electoral votes for their states.  Gore supporters in
states where wide
> margins of victory are essentially assured for either Bush or
Gore, are
> frustrated because the reality of the electoral college
system means that
> their votes for Gore will be meaningless in the election at
large, as the
> winner of the popular vote in each state receives all the
electoral votes
> for that state.
>
> THERE IS A WAY THAT SWING-STATE NADER VOTERS AND GORE
SUPPORTERS IN
> DECIDED STATES CAN VOTE THEIR CONSCIENCES AND SUPPORT THEIR
CANDIDATES -
> THEY CAN TRADE THEIR VOTES.  That is, potential Gore voters
in decided
> states can trade votes, unneeded in their state, for
desperately needed
> Gore votes in the key swing states. In return, potential
Nader voters in
> those swing states will commit to voting for Gore in exchange
for a
> commitment from the Gore voters to vote for Nader in their
already decided
> elections. This way both agendas can be advanced.
>
> Using this strategy:
>
> 1. We can maximize the Nader vote, hopefully pushing beyond
the level of
> 5% of the national popular vote that the Green Party needs in
order to
> receive matching federal funds in the 2004 Presidential race.
>
> 2. At the same time, we can diminish the chances of Bush
winning a close
> race in a swing state because the progressive vote has been
split between
> Gore and Nader.
>
> Several groups have set up vote exchange sites, but the best
one is at
> www.voteswap2000.com <http://www.voteswap2000.com>.
>
> PLEASE VOTE YOUR CONSCIENCE AND PROTECT THE PROGRESSIVE
AGENDA by helping
> build a strong Green Party (with matching federal funds) and
electing a
> candidate by whom we will be better represented than Bush,
and with whom we
> can collaborate on many critical issues. If you have
questions about this
<mailto:amy@oxhouse.org>.

> *     *     *     *     *
> CALIFORNIA VOTERS: If you live in California, you are not
eligible to
> exchange votes through voteswap2000 right now because
California is neither
> a swing state nor a state that is locked up for either Gore
or Bush.
> However, polling shows that THE CALIFORNIA RACE IS MUCH
CLOSER THAN IT

<http://www.nadertrader.org>.

> One Nader supporter writes, "Personally, I'm voting for Gore
in California
> in exchange for both of my parents voting for Nader in Utah
(a state that
> abcnews.com calls 'as republican as they come'). Nader gets
twice the votes
> toward the 5% for federal matching funds, and I know that
there is no way