Re: Happy Halloween - The November 7th Election

Adam-

either this is a disingenuous attack on Ralph's character or you failed Research
101-- given that I only 'know' you through your many wonderful postings about
community gardening, I'll assume the latter. Anyone running for public office
has to file a financial disclosure statement, Ralph doesn't get an exception
(you can view it on-line at:
http://www.opensecrets.org/pfds/index/P20000527.htm). As for his 'wealth', he
has money in mutual funds (yes, valued at over 1 million), but donates 80% of
his income to non-profit organizations. (For more on Ralph and his financial
history, see the Washington Post article from this June at:
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines/061800-01.htm)

Ralph is neither responsible for nor does he have any recourse to prevent the
conservative support for his candidacy. By no means does he endorse them.

I find it hard to believe that you voted for Ralph Nader four years ago given
the content of your recent postings. If you are going to encourage us to "go out
and work for the candidates you believe in' then please practice what you
preach- tell us why you believe people should vote for Gore, not why they
shouldn't vote for Ralph. If you must criticize a candidate-- which is fair game
and by all means necessary in today's world of media spin-- than at least get
your facts straight.

If you want a history of Ralph's life and commitment to public service, check
out: http://www.nader.org/. If you would like more 'facts' like those you
listed, check out: http://www.nationalenquirer.com/.

I can appreciate a 'real politic' analysis of the election, I think it's limited
and and fairly shallow, but I can agree that this country is better off without
George Bush. Unfortunately, the decision is not as cut and dry as so many
frightened liberals would like us to believe. In too many ways the two major
party's are evolving into mirror images of each other. This is in large part due
to the conservative orchestrations of the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC), a
pro-corporate, pro-free trade entity that has wormed it's way to power in the
democratic party. Here's a couple illustrating articles on who and what the DLC
is:

DLC and the Clinton/Gore legacy
http://www.commondreams.org/views/081600-101.htm

Lieberman and the DLC:
http://www.commondreams.org/views/080800-105.htm

Finally, as many have pointed out on this list and in other places, the
progressive community has it's work cut out for it regardless of whether Gore or
Bush wins the presidency. A victory for the Green Party-- 5% or more of the
popular vote-- puts us in that much more of a stronger position at the
bargaining table. How this will unfold in the future-- whether the Democrats
will rediscover the progressive elements of their party (Paul Wellstone for
president- now there's a democrat I could vote for) or whether the Green Party
will continue to grow and become a major third party-- is impossible to know at
this juncture. That our political system is long overdue for a major tune-up is
difficult to refute given any in-depth analysis that looks long and hard at the
political and economic power of the wealthy few whose wants and needs are met at
the expense of genuine progressive interests.

Kevin

--
Kevin Webb
Nader 2000

202.265.0633
202.265.5352 (fax)
http://www.votenader.org

"On some positions, cowardice asks the question, is it expedient? And then
expedience comes along and asks the question, is it politic? Vanity asks
the question, is it popular? Conscience asks the question, is it right?"
-Martin Luther King, Jr

Paid for by the Nader 2000 General Committee, Inc.