info on numbers of community gardens

Hi - I wasn't able to send an email from within the wwb browser, so I'm
sending it from my regular email program.  Hope it arrives ok.

I'm working on a paper about communtiy gardens - whle I focus on
gardens in Minneapolis, I want to show the growth in number of
community gardnes in Minneapolis as part of a national trend.  Can you
tell me where to find data to support the contention that recent
decades have seen the emergence of hundred of community gardens in
urban vacant lots across the US?
Has anyone done a survey or a count of community gardens across the country?
Any national, regional or urban level data would be very helpful.

Thank you very much for any and all help.

Hilda Kurtz
University of Georgia
Department of Geography
204 GGS Building