RE: info on numbers of community gardens

Ah, the age-old question.  How many of us are there?

I think you are safe in your statement about the emergence of gardens,
although "thousands" is probably the right indicator of scale.  Although
national statistics might indicate a trend (if such statistics exist), we
see quite a bit of local variation.

Here in Hartford there were 22 community gardens in 1980 and there are 20
now.  Total acreage has probably increased a bit.  During that 20-year
period, though, we have lost about a dozen gardens.  The gains were not
replacements.  Most of them happened in one neighborhood where there was a
surge of interest a few years ago.

Down the road in New Haven, they have experienced a burst of garden
development due to a small grants program developed by the community
foundation with support from the New Haven Land Trust and Yale's Urban
Resource Initiative.  Very exciting.

Then there are places like New York where they elect the wrong guy mayor and
all of a sudden gardens are sprouting bulldozers instead of tomatoes.
Seattle has had some challenges as well.

Good luck pulling it together.

Jack Hale