RE: info on numbers of community gardens

Hilda

Research in the archive of this listserve should prove invaluable:

The links of the American Community Gardening Assocation  (ACGA) Listserve
are priceless:
http://www.communitygarden.org/
I'd also read the  the Trust for Public Land Website:
http://www.igc.apc.org/tpl/ with care.

Community gardening is not only a North American phenomenon: it is also
European. The community garden plots in the suburbs of Paris, for example,
were started in the 19th century as a way of keeping male industrial workers
from the provinces out of the bars and away from the type of political
agitators that created the amusements of 1848. There is an extensive network
of German & English community gardens as well.

An Interesting book for you to read:

Ed. Wilson, P.L. & Weinberg, B, "Avant Gardening: Ecological Struggle In The
City & The World" NewYork: Autonomedia 1999  a mixed-bag collection of
essays on Community Gardening in NYC's lower east side.  The website is
http://www.autonomedia.org
Tel: 718-963-2603.

There are other people working in this area like Malve von Hassel &
researchers in St. Louis and Toronto that you can access by looking them up
in this listerver's archives.

Let us know how your paper works out. Maybe if it's good, the ACGA will put
it up on their server. However, the competition is pretty good.