RE: Recycled items in community garden - Adam's take

Hi, Folks!

Sharon wrote:

>> Has anyone tried using the diffussion panels as a cloche before?
>> That was a new idea to me.

Hadn't seen that before, but it makes a LOT of sense.  Will have to start
picking through office castoffs -- it looks a whole lot easier to use than
row cover.  *HATE* dealing with rowcover, but one has to with organics.  If
I could get some of those panels, I could probably use them to start my
eggplants -- I keep them under cover until they flower -- it seems to get
them large enough that the flea beetles don't hurt the yields afterwards and
to start sweet potatoes as they love heat.  It should be easier to just flip
the panels back and forth rather than deal with blowing rowcover all the
time. . .

Adam wrote:

>Community Gardening is 50% gardening and 100% political. These English guys
>aren't so dumb and know to reach out to their elected officials, take
>pictures of them with veggies, get them to support pro-garden measures.

Yeah, I was impressed at how many MPs were in those pictures -- I keep my
state reps on my mailing lists, but I've never actually had any of them show
up for anything. . .

>How long do you think funding for our USDA community gardening coordinators
>is gonna last under Dubya, ya think?

I wasn't under the impression that these folks were actually *funded*
specifically -- it seemed more like an assignment to already existing folks.
Does anyone have anything positive to say about this "program" to date?
Personally, I haven't seen that it's anything but window dressing -- a lot
of talk, but no funding and no new programs.  If you already knew your
extension folks, it doesn't seem that they can offer you anything new and
improved under this so-called "program," but maybe I'm "spoiled" since I
knew everyone before they were "annointed" as "community garden
coordinators". . .

Are any ACGA people applying for the National USDA Community Gardening
Coordinator position?  I figure one of "us" should get the job and get paid
for what we all already do in our "spare" time. . .

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of