Cuba Delagation/TourCuba-Ag List: Food First Delegation to CubaCuba-Ag List: Food First Delegation to CubaCuba-Ag List: Food First Delegation to Cuba

  • To: community_garden@mallorn.com
  • Subject: [cg] Cuba Delagation/TourCuba-Ag List: Food First Delegation to CubaCuba-Ag List: Food First Delegation to CubaCuba-Ag List: Food First Delegation to Cuba
  • From: Julie Conrad <jconrad@azstarnet.com>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 18:28:01 -0700

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                     Contact: Kristina Canizares
November 20, 2000                                        (510)654-4400
ext. 226

       Support the only Nation-Wide Sustainable Agriculture
           Program in the World:  Join the  Vi Annual Sustainable
Agriculture Delegation to Cuba  February 4-13, 2001

The international community is becoming increasingly aware of the
incredible advances in organic
agriculture now underway in Cuba. The Institute for Food and Development
Policy (Food First) would like to
invite you to learn more about this phenomenon through our Cuban Organic
Agriculture Exchange Program.
Food First works with the Cuban Association of Agricultural and Forestry
Technicians (ACTAF) and the
Organic Agriculture Group (GAO), last year’s recipients of the Right
Livelihood Award (called the alternative
Nobel Prize), to support the Cuban organic movement and to bring its
successes and challenges to the
attention of the international community.

The Exchange Program connects Cuban farmers and researchers with other
agriculture proponents around the world by disseminating information and
personal contacts.  If you are in the field of sustainable agriculture
as a farmer, researcher,
academic, activist, or student; you may be interested in attending our

This nine day trip allows agriculturalists from the United States and
abroad to witness first-hand the urban
gardens, cooperative and individual farms, organopónicos, research
centers, biological control production
centers, worm composting facilities, and extension agencies that have
contributed to the remarkable
transformation of Cuban food production.  It will also allow them to
meet and talk to the people who worked
to frame the national organic farming policies and those who are
implementing them.  Our main goal is to
create opportunities to exchange information and experiences, and to
build new relationships.  Past
delegation have lead to the establishment of Cuban-U.S. partnerships and
informative exchanges.  All
delegations are co-hosted by ACTAF/GAO, an affiliation that allows
delegates insider access and

        The cost is $1,400, including round trip air fare from Cancún,
visa fees, double occupancy
accommodations, ground transportation in Cuba, three meals a day, an
administrative fee, complete
translation, expert trip leaders, educational materials, and membership
to Food First.  Food First will make all
arrangements, and we will do our best to address your needs and
concerns, and to include trip components
that correspond to your personal interests.  Food First is committed to
having another dynamic and diverse
delegation this year.  It is open to anyone with a demonstrated interest
in organic farming; minorities are
encouraged to apply.

Enrollment is limited and applications are due no later than December
31st, 2000.   Partial
scholarships are available towards the tuition for some applicants.

Contact me for further information or if you would simply like to be
added to our mailing list.  If your
organization has a publication that would be able to print a blurb about
our report and delegation, contact us
for these materials.  Help us spread the word, your support is

Application and further information is available at:

You may also contact:
Kristina Cañizares
Alternative Food Systems Program
Phone: (510) 654-4400 ext. 226
Fax: (510) 654-4551
Email: kcaniz@foodfirst.org

Kristina Cañizares
Program Assistant, Promoting Alternative Food Systems
Institute for Food and Development Policy/Food First
398 60th Street, Oakland, CA 94618 USA
Phone: (510) 654-4400 (ext. 233) Fax: (510) 654-4551

Visit our website: http://www.foodfirst.org
- Explore our extensive resources (updated daily)
- Find out about our programs
- Join our member supported organization

                        25 Years of Fighting for the Right to Feed
Oneself 1975 - 2000
                                 For Land & Liberty -- For Jobs &