Linda Johnson's Artistic Statement in Portland. . .

Hi, Folks!

Was listening to NPR while I was sorting castings out of the worm bin this
afternoon and happened to catch "Living on Earth."  They had a feature on a
dancer from Portland, OR named Linda Johnson who got a $70,000 grant from an
art organization to make an "artistic statement" by setting up an organic
garden (complete with gazbo!) for one year on an unused tax parcel.  The
garden appears to be going great guns, everyone loves it, it's feeding the
hungry, etc. but to make a statement about appreciating things while you
have them, at the end of one year, everything in the garden gets removed so
that passerbys who enjoyed the garden will see that. . .

it's no longer there!

Check out "Living on Earth"'s website at www.loe.org for more details.

LOE also said that the Portland community garden folks were looking to take
over the garden after Linda Johnson has made her statement.  Anybody here
know anything about that?

Personally, I think this segment shows that instead of bothering USDA for
money, we should all start considering our gardens as "art" and asking for
the big bucks from artistic organizations rather than agricultural folks!
:-D  I would not, however, suggest that Guiliani be considered an  "urban
artist" for his current ways with bulldozers on garden land! ;-(

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of