RE: employers providing community gardens

  • Subject: RE: [cg] employers providing community gardens
  • From: "jennifer " jennifer@fairley.biz
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:08:24 -0600

We are in the planning stages of doing just this in downtown Birmingham.  We would like to construct a demonstration garden that also has areas that corporate sponsors can offer to their employees to work.  Along with Magic City Harvest collections, working with gardening groups, native plants, Phytoremediation programs for Brownfields....
Would like to be in the loop of information with ACGA on this subject.
thanks
Jennifer Fairley
Birmingham Urban Garden Society (BUGS)

From: "Sharon Gordon" <gordonse@one.net>
Date:  Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:23:02 -0500

Hi!
Does anyone know of any examples of employers who provide community gardens
for employees?  I know some exist, and I'd like to know more about them.  In
Toledo, Ohio, the Medical College of Ohio used to provide one in the 80's
but then stopped it because the land where the garden was located was
sighted for some type of development, but apparently that never happened.
I've talked to quite a few people who were a part of this garden as
employees of MCO, and of course, they found it very valuable, and were
disappointed when it ended.

***I think this is really handy for before and after work exercise and lunch
breaks.  And extra handy for running out and harvesting fresh salad veggies
for lunch.  And it avoids a trip to the grocery store on the way home to
dinner :-).

***Businesses that I can think of that have employee gardens:
University in Wisconsin (staff and students)
UNC-CH had one at one point (staff and students)
Dorene (on this list)'s UCC church (staff and members)
John Verin (on this list) group in Philadelphia (staff and general public)
Church (protestant, forgot denomination) in Bethlehem, PA (staff, members,
neighbors)
Church in West Chester, OH (protestant, forgot denomination)(new start up
spring 2003, staff, members, neighbors)
University of California, Santa Cruz, (staff and interns)
Grow Biointensive garden, Willets, CA (staff and interns)
Manor House, Kenya (staff and interns)

***Many of the community gardens in England seem to have been originally
created for the use of employees of the major local landowner.  Now most if
not all seem to be open to any interested gardener.

Sharon
gordonse@one.net

--
Jennifer Fairley