Re: urgent call for help in NYC comunity gardens!

  • Subject: Re: [cg] urgent call for help in NYC comunity gardens!
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:01:45 EST

Jodi,

The short answers are:

1) Yes New Yorkers have supported this effort, were engaged in promoting NYC
Council Community Garden Legislation ( which was tabled in two separate bills)
and participated in the NY State Attorney General's settlement discussions at
hearings and behind the scenes.

2) New York community gardeners have worked, or are working at supporting the
Bronx gardens, however.... many people in the area, and I must say,
thoughtful, public minded individuals, organizations, and elected officials,
while
respecting the work that community gardeners have done over the last 25 years
in
the Bronx, have differing, and legitimate ideas  of how that land should be
used in their low-income community - primarily, low income housing.

While it is possible and preferable to have BOTH affordable housing and
gardens, and that solution has been made happen elsewhere in the city, the
decision
makers have not bought into it in the Melrose section of the Bronx.

A curently sitting  ACGA board member is a director of Green Guerillas, and
organization seriously involved actively in the Melrose, Bronx garden battle.
This is from the Green Guerillas website:
http://www.greenguerillas.org/speakup.asp?id=144

"The Melrose neighborhood of the Bronx is one of the most underserved
communities in the country and its residents suffer from high incidences of
environmentally related illnesses such as asthma, lead poisoning, and cancer.
B  Amidst
this backdrop, Melrosebs community gardeners have spent the last 25 years
creating and maintaining vital community gardens that improve the environment
in
Melrose. They have also rolled up their sleeves to provide cultural,
educational, and social services to thousands of their neighbors, young and
old.Unfortunately, community gardeners in Melrose once again find themselves
fighting for
survival. More than two years after the historic community garden settlement,
almost all of Melrosebs community gardens are slated for development b 19
in
all face bulldozers in the months to come.B
To help find a way to preserve community gardens while important development
plans go forward, the South Bronx United Gardeners brought together community
residents, gardeners, grassroots community advocates, local developers, local
politicians, local religious centers and city-wide greening groups to engage
in a planning process.After more than a year of meetings and maps, the South
Bronx United Gardeners have developed the SBUG Homes and Gardens Plan. This
innovative plan details how 11 of the 19 threatened gardens could be saved,
while
still allowing low-income housing to be built in Melrose. The SBUG gardeners
have shown that housing and community gardens can and should go hand in hand
in
Melrose. The SBUG plan charts a course for a win-win situation for Melrose
residents.The plan is also supported by local environmental agencies and over
100 local businesses and groups.How can you get involved?This is a crucial
time
for community gardeners in Melrose -- many of their gardens are part ofB B
development processes that have already started. And they need your support.

We urge you to contact Council Member Jose Serrano and Mayor Michael
Bloomberg to ask them to support the SBUG Homes and Gardens Plan as a way to
preserveB vital community gardens while supporting the contruction of much
needed
low-income housing.

1) Michael R. Bloomberg, B  Mayor City of New York, B  City Hall, New York,
NYB
B 10007Fax: 212-788-2460J

2) Jose M. Serrano, City Council Member,District # 17, 384 East 149 St. Suite
300, Bronx, NY 10455

For more information on the SBUG Homes and Gardens Plan, contact the South
Bronx United Gardeners at 718-292-1705 or contact David Veliz at Green
Guerillas
at 212.594.2155 or e-mail info@nycgreen.org"

The email message that you responded to is from another garden advocacy group
called, "More gardens!," lead by a friend of mine, Aresh Jahadi, who puts his
rear-end on the line for endangered gardens, and has been arrested seveal
times over the years for it.

That's where things stand,

Everbest,
Adam Honigman,