Paid Staff

  • Subject: [cg] Paid Staff
  • From: "Chun, Stacie" <SChun@oaklandnet.com>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:33:14 -0800

Our community garden has been awarded a small foundation grant ($8K) to hire
a program coordinator. We might be able to get a little more from another
grant to bring the total available up to about $18K.

We haven't had paid staff for the gardens in the current board's memory and
aren't sure how to get started-- what taxes, insurance are required? Can we
pay on consultant or stipend basis? Are we required to pay Medicare,
unemployment insurance, etc. on such a small sum?

Our funder doesn't want to advise us on set-up, and the local non-profit
resource center has advised us to find an employment lawyer.

Does anyone have experience with paying a person out of a tiny budget? We
are in California, so any experience in our state would be especially
helpful. Do we really need to hire a lawyer for this?

Stacie Chun
Hayward Community Gardens