Re: Paid Staff

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Paid Staff
  • From: "Maria Pellerano" <maria@rachel.org>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:18:23 -0500

Hi,

The reason the resource center recommended you talk to a lawyer is that
there are stiff IRS penalties (and possibly state ones as well) if you go in
the wrong direction.

The IRS has a test that you can go through to decide whether or not someone
is a contractor.  See
http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=128602,00.html and I suggest you
follow the links.  If you pay someone as a consultant and the IRS determines
they were an employee you will owe back taxes as well as a penalty.

If you decided to pay them as staff, you will need to get an employer
identification number, from the IRS) as well as set-up as an employer (with
the IRS, your state, and possibly you city or county -- that depends on
local law).  Your organization will have to pay half of the social security
and medicare tax and possibly some/all of unemployment as well.

You might want to talk to a non-profit accountant who will give you a
straight story about your situation.  I always review my employer /
contractor choice with the organization's accountant.

Lastly you probably should carry liability and workers compensation
insurance as well.  You open your organization and its board up to problems
if a lawsuit occurs.

I am happy to answer any of your questions to the best of my knowledge.  I
have been working in the non-profit world for almost 20 years and know from
experience that it is easier (though more costly in the short run) to follow
the rules than it is to pay for it in the long run.

-- Maria

Maria B. Pellerano, Associate Director
Environmental Research Foundation
maria@rachel.org