Church Associated Community Gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Church Associated Community Gardens
  • From: "Fred Mabry" fmabry@carolina.net
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:31:25 -0500

My name is Lynne Mabry.  I live in Laurinburg, NC.  Laurinburg is on the
border with SC, between Charlotte and Wilmington.  My church, Laurinburg
Presbyterian Church, has about 2-3 acres of unused land that we are planning
to turn into a multi-purpose community garden for the next 10-15 years.  I am
the unofficial coordinator at this point.  I need to get a plan together and
present it to our Session (the church governing body) for approval.  Do any of
you know of another Presbyterian church with a garden?

I would appreciate hearing from any of you across the country who know of  or
have association with any church /community garden.  What are your guidelines?
Who can have a plot? Plot size?  What percentage is given away to the hungry?
All information and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!  Lynne