RE: Church Associated Community Gardens

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Church Associated Community Gardens
  • From: "Jim Call" jimcall@casagarden.com
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 19:59:59 -0600

About 6 years ago, I was approached by a Lutheran Church to help establish a
community garden on their grounds.  Their mission was to give the harvest to
the poor elderly, similar to the CASA Community Garden's (CCG) effort.  This
was a presented to the church by a small number of members (5 or so) who had
visited the CCG.   It was chaired by a "Lynne Mabry" type who had the
responsibility of making this happen.  On "Plant Day" in spring, they had
about 25 or more volunteers.  Good turnout for a 50' by 100' garden.  All
goes well.  The soil was what I call a "gum shoe" clay.  Just terrible.  It
screamed for organics.  I ask the Pastor of church afterwards... have you
ever heard of the phase
 "God is testing you"?  He said "yes".  I responded, "Pastor, this garden
will be testing all of you".  I told him it will take a few years of adding
amendments to it in order to raise its harvest level. I gave him and their
garden leaders advice on going forward.

During that summer, I visited the garden on occasions to review their
progress. As predicted, it produced poorly and had severe weed problems. As
the hot summer weather approached the volunteerism waned.  I understand the
lady overseeing this project quit the church the following year and without
leadership the project was discontinued.

To this end, I would advise you to make sure you are aware of all the
requirements needed to operate this garden.  Meet with your Garden Committee
and make note of all the equipment, materials (including seeds, plants,
etc.), volunteers, tasks, rules/regulations required to operate it.  I'm not
a "meeting" kind of person (unless its in the garden), but I would advise
having someone take minutes to record your meetings.  Email the minutes to
everyone involved.

You have quite a challenge.  If you have additional questions, please email
me and I will try to help you out.

Wishing you the best in your efforts,   Jim