Church Associated Community Gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Church Associated Community Gardens
  • From: "Betsy Johnson" betsy@bgjohnson.com
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:27:23 -0500

Thank you Fred for describing the realities of starting a community
garden without sufficient "building of community" before the planting
gets started.  Lynn, you ask for examples of other Presbyterian gardens.
I would contend that a church garden is really no different from other
community gardens.  Basically all community gardens need to be developed
by a group of folks who together determine the form of the gardens, the
rules that will be followed, and together get the resources for the
garden.  From the ACGA website there are basic guidelines for starting a
garden and I also recommend our Cultivating Community and Growing
Communities Curriculum publications.  Also, consider attending our
Growing Communities workshop in Richmond, Virginia on March 10-11, 2006.

Betsy Johnson
Executive Director
American Community Gardening Assoc.
877-275-2242  betsyjohnson@communitygarden.org