reSubject: conservation easements on community gardens

  • Subject: reSubject: [cg] conservation easements on community gardens
  • From: rainbowpauline rainbowpauline@earthlink.net
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 13:27:27 -0700

Dear Candice,

Please forward the replies that you receive to this list. I am also
interested in this subject.

Thanks,

Pauline

Forwarded:
From: "Candace Williams" <cwilliams@sandhillslandtrust.org>
Date: November 8, 2005 9:12:58 AM MST
To: <community_garden@mallorn.com>

Hello fellow gardeners!  My organization is in the beginning stages of
planning a community garden in Fayetteville, NC.  We have identified
the city
lots (3 acres) and am in the midst of negotiating their future use for
our
gardens.  After reading the sad stories about loss of gardens back to
the city
after years of tender care, I want to make sure that that doesn't
happen to
our gardens.  Our plan is to have the city retain ownership of the land
but
have a conservation easement placed on the land which would be held by
the
Sandhills Area Land Trust.  This easement would ensure that the land
remain
open space in perpetuity even if the garden was abandoned down the
road.  I am
inquiring from you, the garden community, as to whether any of your
gardens
are protected by easements or restricted covenants?  I am in need of
model
easement to present to my Board and the City of such an agreement and
am in
hopes that there may be a model in use that I could use as an
illustration.
Any feedback and information would be greatly appreciated!!!  Thank you!
Candace Williams

Candace Williams
Sandhills Area Land Trust
Program Coordinator/Land Protection