Re: conservation easements on community gardens

  • Subject: Re: [cg] conservation easements on community gardens
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 22:31:08 EST

The hands-down, un-contested world champion in the negotiation of
conservation, historical , public space AND community gardens via purchase,
easements, restrictive covenants and other legal slights of hands is The Trust
for Public Land.
Please search through the TPL website http://www.tpl.org/ ,look at your
region and call up the local office. Doubtless,  TPL has plenty of beautifully
drafted documents which ( if you made sure you gave them lots of credit and
thank you letters for them to show to their high-end donors) properly doctored
by a local land use attorney, would serve very well.

Again - the Trust for Public Land knows how to legally preserve Civil War
battlefields, and came up with the idea to "sell" square inches of the Clinton
Community Garden in the NY Times as a way to jump-start the frantic
that saved the garden in the mid 1980's.

I'd also reach out to other heavyweights like the Audubon Society ( gardens
are wonderful bird watching venues) and the Nature Conservancy.  There are
"invented wheels," there - lots of really competent people, many of them are
attorneys working pro-bono.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman