botanical question

Dear Everyone,
I'm working on a dissertation (well, ok, I'm just in the starting phase) on
community gardens and urban rehabilitation through them for my university
here in Budapest, Hungary.
I know many of you work mostly with vegetable gardens. I'd like to focus a
bit on flowers, trees and shrubs for one of my chapters. Can anyone give me
advice on what flowers, trees and shrubs are suitable for a community
garden? What are the types that are "low maintenance" that are good for
involving children and people who aren't experienced gardeners and let them
feel successful? Also, what are the particular types that are best at
surviving highly polluted areas? Any kind of suggestions are very, very
appreciated.

Hey, if any of you ever have the urge to come to Budapest to give a lecture
at my school about your garden, you have a free place to stay and a built-in
tour guide and translator!
Kristin Faurest
kfaurest@hotmail.com