From: Jim Flint <jimf@garden.org>
To: community_garden@mallorn <community_garden@mallorn.com>;
Cyndy Ross <cynross@tir.com>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 1999 9:03 AM
Subject: [cg] Scotts Company & USBG

> Cyndy,
> I respect your viewpoint on the use of synthetic chemicals
and am equally
> concerned about environmental quality. I also respect that
within the world
> of community gardeners, there are a diversity of perspectives
and issues
> regarding growing methods.
> My original response was based on reading your email posting
and the
> article that was attached. Where we differ in is how we
looked at the USBG
> press release and perhaps in our perspectives on what makes a
> responsible company.
> In my opinion, the comparison between Scotts, tobacco, and
drug dealers is
> unfair. On the other hand, as Judy Tiger suggests, we as
> gardeners may have an opportunity to have an influence
(through effective
> advocacy) on the Scotts product line and on the horticultural
> that are used at the US Botanical Garden.
> I've found Scotts to be a pretty responsive company to
gardeners, and I'll
> forward along messages, concerns, and ideas from the ACGA
List Serve
> directly to the company. Scotts web site also has a comment
section where
> email comments can be sent directly to at
> <http://www.scottscompany.com/html/contact.cfm>
> So let's move to a step of sharing ideas and information, and
see what
> postive steps can result.
> Peace,
> Jim
> At 11:00 AM 11/18/1999 -0500, you wrote:
> >Jim
> >
> >Your response tells me you did not read the attached
article.  Perhaps you
> >did not receive it.  Here is the website address
> >http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/nat_garden/ng_updates.html  Please
review for
> >yourself.  If you still need more information on what
synthetic chemicals
> >are doing to our gifted planet, I'd be happy to pass along
more resources to
> >you.  Also, please refer to the ACGA's archived files.  By
all means, I
> >encourage everyone to become more educated, particularly
when it comes to
> >topics such as this.....propaganda is no better than gossip
& just as
> >destructive.  'Tis far better to persuade people to do the
right thing.

> >I don't doubt the Scott's company does "good deeds" nor do I
criticize the
> >generosity.  Yet, I do criticize how & where the revenue is
earned in order
> >to make such a substantial donate.  Character always
matters.  Good deeds do
> >not cancel bad ones if the bad ones continue.  Just like one
of the major
> >objections (among the 95) Dr. Martin Luther had with the
Roman Catholic
> >Church in the 16th century, 'you can't buy indulgences to
replace remorse or
> >repentance for forgiveness'.  Would you have a problem with
drug dealers or
> >terrorists funding much need school programs?   Or, tobacco
> >funding cancer wings in hospitals while continuing to
advertise cigarettes
> >to teenagers?
> >
> >Many postings on this site, particularly over the past few
months, have
> >provided substantial resources concerning the detriment of
> >chemicals to our precious earth, including 'Roundup'.  One
of the main
> >offending products Scotts company offers is "Roundup".
Other leading
> >products by Scotts company:  Miracle-Gro (makes plants
deplete nutrients out
> >of the soil at an unnatural accelerated rate, faster than
nutrients are
> >added), Miracid, Ortho, Hyponex, EarthGro, & Osmocate.  What
good is
> >donating food contaminated with chemicals if people become
sick (i.e.
> >cancer).  John Hopkins' Hospital recently had articles
verifying pesticides
> >can cause cancer.  Granted, I'm not sure if the pesticides
they tested were
> >from Scotts.  However, it raises an extremely valid question
to ask &
> >investigate.
> >
> >I have been told by a biology professor (graduate level)
that healthy soil
> >contains micro-organisms & nutrients registering in the
millions per square
> >foot (or inch ?).  And, that in controlled experiments
synthetic chemicals
> >have dramatically reduce the numbers to mid-hundreds.  This
greatly affects
> >plants & all those relying on the growth of plants.
Therefore, this is a
> >much bigger picture than "passionate feelings" & has more to
do with simple
> >rights & wrongs of stewardship.
> >
> >Thank you for taking the time to respond.  Peace be with
> >
> >Sincerely,
> >Cyndy Ross, Chairperson
> >SLLC Organic Community Garden
> >Sylvan Lake Lutheran Church

Cyndy Ross
> ><cynross@tir.com>
> >Date: Thursday, November 18, 1999 9:40 AM
> >Subject: [cg] Scotts Company & USBG
> >

> >>Cyndy,
> >>
> >>Your note on the ACGA list serve caught my eye this
morning. Could you
> >>could provide more information on how Scott's products are
destroying the
> >>soil and harming our ecosystem. Is this a general
indictment for all
> >>Scott's products, or are there specific products that are
of concern?

> >>Looking at this issue from another perspective, questions
arise when a
> >>garden-based company makes a gift to a public garden and
then is criticized
> >>in a community forum for their generosity.
> >>
> >>Perhaps before community gardeners are encouraged to fax
notes to the
> >>director of the US Botanical Garden, Robert Hansen, there
might be more
> >>information available from differing viewpoints for members
of the
> >>community garden list serve to consider.
> >>
> >>For example .... Scotts has been extremely generous in
providing support
> >>for Plant A Row for the Hungry, which is sponsored by the
Garden Writers of
> >>America. This program is active in hundreds of community
gardens throughout
> >>the country and helps Food Banks by encouraging donations
of fresh produce.
> >>Scotts has also provided financial support for community
parks, school, and
> >>youth garden programs that have a positive impact on
thousands of children.

> >>While as community gardeners we have passionate feelings
about the earth,
> >>let's open this issue up to some discussion and work in a
collaborative way
> >>to advocate for community gardening and protection of our
> >>without alienating companies like Scotts who actively
support community and
> >>school gardening efforts.
> >>
> >>Sincerely,
> >>
> >>Jim Flint
> >>Youth Garden Grants Director
> >>National Gardening Association

supported by "The
> >>produce/manufacture >products which destroy the soil & in
turn, harm our
> >>delicate ecosystem. Rather >than purpetuating the sale &
manufacture of
> >>such harmful products to "buy >indulgences" via supporting
The National
> >>Garden, we would all be much better >off if they just
ceased & desist. If
> >>you are as appalled by this adultery as I >am, please
> >Thank
Chairperson SLLC
Figa Avenue W.